Happy and Healthy Arrival -- AMH Celebrates With Ribbon Cutting, Open House for Expanded Women's Health and Childbirth Center
At Alton Memorial Hospital, we've been delivering babies for more than 65 years. We're proud of our experienced team of nurses and physicians who give you personalized expert care with a tender touch. When you arrive at the hospital you are quickly escorted to a private birthing suite. You can be assured that every member of our team — from registration to dietary — is here to support you and help meet your needs.
Combining the comforts of home and family with modern technology, Alton Memorial strives to meet your needs for an excellent and safe welcome for your newest family member. Discover all the reasons you should choose the Women’s Health and Childbirth Center for your childbirth experience.
What to expect
The staff at Alton Memorial’s Women’s Health and Childbirth Center is committed to providing an optimal level of care for infant feeding and mother/baby bonding through our affiliation with Baby Friendly, USA. Baby Friendly practices help ensure that you feel connected with your baby and confident in your ability to care for your new addition after discharge. All of our staff has received extensive training in the most current mother-baby care, bonding, and infant feeding recommendations and practices to help you meet your goals.
For questions or concerns related to breastfeeding, please call 618.463.7455 and ask to speak to a lactation counselor.
Family Centered Care:
The Women’s Health and Childbirth Center at Alton Memorial Hospital focuses on the needs of all family members from first-time moms and dads to those with other sons and daughters who want to be a part of it all. Grandparents also are encouraged to bond with the new baby by participating in the wonderful experience of bringing a new life into the world.
Comforts of Home:
You'll feel right at home when you choose to deliver your baby at the Women’s Health and Childbirth Center, where a home-like feel and soothing colors offer many of the comforts of home. Our tastefully decorated birthing rooms feature a DVD player, television, comfortable furnishings and other amenities for your comfort. There's even a whirlpool tub to help you relax and recover after childbirth.
You can relax knowing that you and your baby are in a safe, secure setting.
- All modern medical technology necessary for a safe delivery is close at hand, just hidden from view
- Advanced fetal monitoring system lets our nurses and your doctor keep a close eye on you as your labor progresses
- The latest options in pain management, natural childbirth and surgical suites for safe and convenient Caesarean sections are all available
- Hospital breast-feeding counselors can help both during and after a stay to help new mothers and their babies get off to a healthy start
- Level II nursery staffed by skilled special care nurses for the infrequent occasion that your baby may need additional medical attention. In the rare event that a newborn requires more intensive care, St Louis Children’s Hospital Transport Team is housed onsite to facilitate a quick transfer to a pediatric hospital, such as St. Louis Children's Hospital, affiliated with Alton Memorial Hospital as a member of BJC HealthCare.
In the first hours after the baby’s birth, new moms are given the opportunity to bond with their baby and their support person in a quiet, gentle environment. After that time, when you feel ready, the Women’s Health and Childbirth Center will help your family and visitors feel at home, too. While visitors are welcome, mothers are in charge. When mother and baby need quiet and rest, they get it. Our goal is to make your childbirth experience special and memorable for you and your family, while providing the best care for you and your baby.
Entrance to the Women's Health and Childbirth Center is around to the back of the main hospital building at the Smith Building (blue awning) entrance.
Note: After women are 20 weeks pregnant and coming to the hospital for a pregnancy-related evaluation, they should park in the childbirth center designated spots and use this entrance.
Learn more about the amenities and services offer at the Women's Health and Childbirth center by calling 618.463.7455.