Nutrition plays a key role in your health. Learning about how to eat the right foods is one of the most important steps you can take in the managing and prevention of certain diseases. The dietitians at Alton Memorial Hospital are here to offer you one-on-one or nutrition education and dietary counseling, as well as group classes for diabetes education.
- Individual nutrition counseling with a dietitian is 60 minutes
- Follow-up nutrition counseling with a dietitian is 30 minutes; these are recommended four weeks following the initial diet instruction
- Additional follow-ups are necessary every six months; this is usually recommended for patients with diabetes
- Group diabetes classes are available
- Diabetes classes are 2-4 hours per session
- Sessions are taught by diabetes educator nurses and dietitians
- Complete the Diabetes Management Center orders form for individual and group classes
- To comply with the American Association of Diabetes Educators and the American Diabetes Association, we provide carbohydrate counting and exchange education; this includes hands-on demonstrations, label reading and other interactive activities
- Bariatrics Weight Loss Surgery - For those struggling with excess weight and obesity, Alton Memorial Hospital and BJC Medical Group offer a comprehensive bariatrics program for permanent weight management that includes gastric sleeve surgery, nutrition counseling, physical activity training and other weight loss support services to promote lifelong wellness. Learn more about our comprehensive Bariatrics Weight Loss Surgery program.
What You Need to Know:
- Referrals and prescriptions are required for nutrition counseling sessions; laboratory results and medication lists will help us plan your sessions
- Fill out the outpatient dietitian referral/order form
- You must register 30 minutes prior to your nutrition counseling session
- Follow-up notes regarding the nutrition counseling session with your dietitian and goals you set are sent to your physician
Hours and Location:
Nutrition Counseling: 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 7 a.m.-noon Friday.
Friday appointments arranged with the dietitian
Located on the ground floor of the Olin Wing in Room G-261.
Nutrition Counseling Classes are also held in this location.
Free valet service is available for easy access and we are accessible to handicap parking.
To visit our nutrition counseling office, park by the hospital's Olin Wing entrance (orange awning). Come in that entrance and nutrition counseling is the second door on the left (Room G-261). For more information on our nutrition counseling services, contact administrative assistant Stephanie Davis at 618-463-7744 or email us. All initial appointments are made through Centralized Scheduling at 618-463-7647.